Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic beta

Since the NDA has been lifted...

SW:TOR is pretty much Bioware "playing it safe"; it has nothing really new, the graphics are lackluster so they will run on your neighbour's  machine from 2005 and it focuses on the usual level- and gear grind.

It will not make a real dent on WoW's armor, but it will probably have a few hundred thousand Star Wars fans and people bored in the WoW grind flocking to it, at least for the first "free" 30 days.

I played my trooper come commando to level 18 during sunday and monday - and while fun at times, there's too much running around (and the 35% speed boost you get at level 16 doesn't really help) and all the quests are pretty much of the standard "kill X monsters" or "fetch X items" variety.

I have to admit that they *did* accomplish something I wished the Conan game had perfected before; nearly all the quests have complete voice acting (except the "quest automat" ones). Now, I can't honestly say if this continues all the way until level 50, but it does to at least 20. Then again, so did Conan's...

Will I get this one on release? Not a chance.

Would I play this for free, with "pay to play" content bundles? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean...