Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A new gaming rig

I'm having hard time justifying myself a big budget for a new gaming PC since I do most of my gaming on the consoles nowadays, so what I've ended up with is a mid-range, sub 1000 eur, gaming PC consisting of:

  • Intel i5 750 CPU w/ Scythe Katana 3 cooler
  • Asus P7P55D-E motherboard (the local store is out of the cheaper GigaByte USB/SATA3 boards)
  • 4 gigs of DDR3 1333Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw memory
  • HIS Radeon HD 5770, 1GB (another to be added later in Crossfire)
  • Zegamax Luna case with a 650W Chieftec "Super Series" PSU (can you say "cheap-ass"?)
  • Some random 1TB drive (probably a Samsung F3)
     
I'd love to got for an Intel X-25 SSD drive, but my budget would break on the 80GB version and the 40GB seems so tiny - even for a pure OS drive. And in either case I'd still need a 500GB - 1TB drive for the actual "games and stuff".

Also, the 58XX series Radeon's are out of the picture; I could cash out for the 5830, but honestly, the 5fps difference at FullHD isn't just worth the extra 80-90 euros (considering that I can add another 5770 later for around 130 euros).

If I went for an AMD system with Phenom II X4 955BE, I'd probably save another 30-40 euros, and wouldn't lose many (if any) fps in games - but for more intensive reasons like MPEG-compression and working with RARs, I decided on the i5 750 that is basically a i7 860 that has HyperThreading disabled.

I could save even more if I took the chance with a Phenom II X2 and tried to unlock it with a suitable motherboard.

But with my track record of getting good CPUs I decided not to (anyone remember Celeron 300As? Or 366s? I had to go through 5 specimens of the latter to get them to 555MHz and never got lucky with a 300A... ;) ).


Oh, well... Decisions, decisions.

Maybe I'll get that damn cheap Packard Bell i5 430/Radeon 5650 laptop instead - would save me 200 euros and tons of time... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean...